Friday, July 31, 2009

Beckham Banners

As the LA Galaxy gets ready to take on Barcelona on Saturday, Beckham was asked again about BeckhamGate and those banners:

Beckham said it really doesn't matter what the fans do, even if more negative banners are almost certain to be present Saturday.

"I wish I had time to make banners," he said with a grin. "If they have more banners, it's down to them. I've had it a lot worse than I've had it here."

Beckham, for example, was villified by English fans and media after the 1998 World Cup, in which he was red-carded during a second-round loss to Argentina that eliminated England from the competition. One headline in a British newspaper even called him an "idiot."

"I've had it bad in all the places where I've played," he said. "It's just part of playing soccer."

I wonder what kind of banners Beckham would make? 'Posh I Love You', that might be one.